What's this all about then?

Follow my attempt to cycle from the very north of Sweden back home to London

Friday 20 July 2012

Maps and map reading

The day started off very wet but got drier towards the afternoon. Unfortunately the wind was against most of the day which really made me work hard.
60km from my starting point in Ljungby I passed the "Skåne Län" sign (county Skåne). This was significant as Skåne is the southernmost county in Sweden. The northernmost, Lappland, took almost seven days to get through, Skåne is a lot smaller.
I learned the value of having an up to date map today, mine is from 2001. Who would have known so many roads could be built in only 11 years? When the map and reality do fit together it's still a good idea to know how to read the damn thing. As you can see from the picture I ended up on a tiny road in the middle of a field.
After 145 adventurous kilometers I finally made into Eslöv, an insignificant village. If my map is with me I'll make it to Sweden's south endpoint tomorrow.

2 comments: